Friday, March 23, 2012

#2 - Cute and Cuddly!

Hello again Interneters! Tonight I bring you a special Double Feature! For our second outing, I've chosen the theme "Cute and Cuddly".

I'm the first person to admit I have an over developed sense of cute. Combine that with the superpower known as nostalgia, and it's no wonder I own our first film:

1) The Adventures of Milo and Otis

1989. Directed by Masanori Hata. 76 Minutes (US Version)

I have a soft spot for this movie. Cute animals doing cute things.I also find the Dudley Moore narration hilarious. Just try not to think of how many little puppies and kitties "retired" during the FOUR YEARS it took to make this film.
Matching this movie was difficult. I don't own Babe, or any other live animal centric movies. Except maybe one....




2)Willard

2003. Directed by Glen Morgan.
Okay, so "Cute and Cuddly" just got ironic. So what? I LIKE this movie. I think it's perfectly creepy, the animal wrangling in it is fantastic, and how can you go wrong with Crispin Glover singing the infamous Michael Jackson song "Ben"?

So, do these two films go together? I vote yes. If you view it from the fun, optimistic angle, Milo, Otis, Socrates and Big Ben are all super cute...okay, Big Ben...not so much. If you view it from the dark, creepy angle, the process it is rumored to have taken to make Milo and Otis is just as horrifying as anything Willard has his little friends do. So go ahead, curl up with your cutest pets and have a night in! You'll be glad you did!

Favorite Moments:
1) "You're a strange-looking cat" "Oh, I'm not a cat; I'm a dog!" "All right, a dog, I understand, but...deep down, we're all cats, right?"
2) "Willard...there are rats in the basement!" (the surround sound should be on for this line. Good sound design!)

Suggested Snack!
Milo and Oatmeal Cookies, and, of course, Ratatouille.

My Own Milo, Otis, and...another cat. Bye for now, pet owners!

1 comment:

  1. I love Milo & Otis! I watched it all the time when I was little.

    Also, your tabby's face in that picture is making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete